Friday, March 25, 2016

March 25th- Week 7 of SRP

Hello everyone,

This week I switched back over primarily to illustrating people/faces, which are my favorite things to illustrate. Over the years that I have done art though, I’ve mostly used traditional media for my art, which are things like pens, pencils, markers, paints, etc. But now that I’ve transitioned almost solely into digital art, I’ve found that the processes I once thought were so easy and natural for me have now become a lot more complicated.

A lot of this has to do with the layers I’ve been mentioning throughout my posts. For even if something might seem easy illustrate by hand, the layers behind it might be extremely complex, (whereas other things that seem impossible to draw by hand suddenly become extremely easy with a computer)

Take for example this close-up of one of the characters in the scene (and try to ignore the terrible quality):
Sorry this REALLY isn't finished yet, but  I thought it served as a good enough example of what I've been primarily working on. If you haven't realized this yet from viewing my previous artwork, it's all very amateurish...


Using a pencil and sketchpad and some markers, creating something like this wouldn’t have taken very long. But due to the way this illustration has to be animated, and how my software allows me to create something like this, a very complex, but highly enjoyable process forms.

Painting on a digital medium requires a completely different mindset I’ve noticed as far as creating artwork. You can’t think of subjects like you normally would as a collection of 2D lines and colors. Instead the entire work has to be visualized completely before you embark on creating the piece. This was something I had to learn the difficult way, but now I’ve been able to completely adjust the way I go about painting.

First, I go to the rough sketch in my storyboard, and I gain a general sense of how I want the picture to look, and what I want to include within it. Then I work from the deepest part of the painting up, meaning I go from the background, to the very surface of the painting working out what every single layer contains, and how I should divide them. From the standpoint of an artist, some objects might require more than one layer to look their best, while others only need one. From the standpoint of an animator, a layer has to be constructed a certain way, or it simply can’t even be animated.

So after I’ve crafted about about twenty blank layers and I’ve labeled each of them, I make rough sketches on each layer of what’s going to be present in the illustration before consulting with my animation mentor. This is probably the most important step, because if a single layer isn’t compatible with, or isn’t as cohesive as it could be for the animations, then I would basically have to start the whole piece over, depending on how severe the error is.

So once the game-plan is set, I begin bringing every layer up to the level of detail I want. It took me a while to get used to this because with traditional art, you simply draw or paint something exactly the way it looks the first time around, and then you go back and tweak around with things and add a couple of details usually. But with digital painting, I favor a different kind of process. Basically, I start out with big blobs of color across the digital canvas, it’s like viewing the final product while wearing  a pair of glasses make your whole world turn blurry. In traditional art, there’d be nothing I could do with this, but in digital art, this is me just getting started. Everything that follows is just me gradually making these blobs of color more refined, giving them shape, giving them highlights and shadows, and then finally drawing details.


Talk to you guys more next week!

~Keanan~

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Keanan - the image of your first character looks quite sophisticated to me! :)

    The more that you learn about digital mediums, do you find yourself drawn more or less towards pen/paper? At this point, do you have a preference? I would imagine it might be difficult to go back and forth between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ms. Mitrovich, I am really happy that you like the picture! I've got to say that I am becoming a lot more used to the digital medium. The more time I spend with it, the easier it becomes to use, and the more proficient I become.

    It offers a lot of invaluable functions that traditional mediums simply cannot provide. For instance, having clean erase lines, being able to zoom in to work on details, being able to undo big mistakes with the press of a button are all things that traditional mediums can't offer all the time.
    Honestly, the programs that I'm using are so dense that I learn something new about them everyday. You can record certain processes you perform so that the computer can replicate them on demand, you can use free transform functions to completely adjust something's proportions, (which is helpful when you've drawn a face, or eyes, or a nose, that looks a little crooked), and you can completely rework the coloring of the entire piece by adjusting color balances, saturation levels, etc.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The painting looks great! My sister uses a drawing pad, and the process is similar to what you're describing. What do you use to paint that accurately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zooming in is what really helps me. At first I could only draw very shaky looking lines on the drawing pad, because it feels a lot different from using a pencil and paper. But zooming in a lot on the subject matter helps a lot. Because when just a person's eye, or her lips are covering your whole laptop screen, its a lot easier to go into detail, and when you zoom out, all of those lines you thought looked uneven look very crisp from far away.

      Delete
  4. Your process sounds a lot more thoughtful and planned than mine! I kind of just hope for the best and add layers as I go, and there's definitely no labelling. Do you like working digitally better than working traditionally, or is it just different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some aspects I like better, others I don't so much with digital art. With just sketching with pencil, drawing something, and then shading it in, adding values, and blending is so easy and instinctive almost. But in my software, I have to have a layer for an outline, then a layer for colors, then I have to keep switching between tools and changing their densities and sizes...

      So at first, I would have definitely answered traditional art, but since I've been getting much better with the software, my answer changes. I'm kind of addicted to the conveniences that my program offers. Using digital art, creating more realistic looking pieces comes easier to me than it would with traditional mediums, in which my art was very stylized. Ultimately, since I've started using the program, I've found that my art turns out more the way I want it to, whereas on paper, it was more of a hit or miss situation.

      Delete
  5. The painting looks great to me! If one layer has an error in it, why do you have to restart the entire piece, why can't you just redo the single layer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on how many things are drawn on that layer. If a lot of things are drawn on one layer, and it turns out that a specific part of that layer can't be animated because of the way you drew it, then it's basically like starting a whole part of the piece over, because a lot of elements that might have turned out well are tainted by something incorrect that was drawn over it.

      For an example, in one of my landscapes that I drew, there were stars, the sky, the moon, and moonlight all drawn on one layer. I thought everything looked perfect, and could be animated easily, but my mentor informed me otherwise, and that basically the piece couldn't be salvaged. All of the stars, which I had drawn in seconds using a spotty airbrush, had to each be drawn by hand, and each given their separate layer. The moonlight, which I had also added on top of this layer actually needed to have its very own to be animated. But because I had painted over parts of the sky and the moon, those perfectly fine, nonanimated parts had to be redone as well because I had messed up with another element.

      I made a lot of rookie mistakes at first, but thankfully I've caught on now to how things must be drawn, so I find myself much less frequently faced with these sorts of problems.

      Delete
  6. Wow Keanan this is looking wonderful! Do you find the process as complex for other landscapes as far as layering goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simply because this one required so many more, I would say so. Also, the more layers you have, its harder to keep track of exactly where everything is, so I might find myself accidentally painting parts of the hair, on a layer that's supposed to be skin.

      With the hair as well, its really hard to just work with one layer, but it's also inconvenient to separate it into two. Working with one layer, parts of the hair fall in front of the face or on top of the head, so this layer gets placed above the layer that contains this person's skin. However, since parts of the hair fall behind her head, or behind her neck, or her shoulders, it's hard to avoid drawing over things you're not supposed to.

      Delete