Thursday, January 21, 2016

Introduction

Hello All,

My name is Keanan Jenkins, and I am a senior at BASIS Scottsdale. I am creating this blog to document my progress on my Senior Research Project. What I will be researching for approximately 10 weeks (from February to April) is the elements of effective novels, and how incorporating various stimuli into a story can either enhance or detract from the overall reading experience.

My project will be centered on the fantasy novel which I have been writing for some time now. I have selected a scene from my text, which I believe is especially filled with visual imagery. What I want to experiment on is how I can add certain components to highlight or give added effect to certain parts, while still letting the story read naturally. 

To do this, I plan on experimenting with various combinations of illustrations, animations, and musical scores to integrate into the text. Learning how to professionally construct these additions will most likely take up the bulk of my time. But when I am not experimenting with these things, I will be researching various publishing methods and effective marketing techniques.

The sites and programs which I am going to be using are Word 2013, Adobe Photoshop CS6, Clip Studio Paint EX, Flame Painter Pro 3, Adobe After Effects (CS6, CC 2015), and Noteflight.

I am going to be under the amazing guidance of the Head Art Teacher at my school, Mrs. Dru Hardy, and Mr. Peter Hannan, a renowned illustrator, writer, producer, and artist. On May 2nd 2016, I am going to give a final presentation on my work, and then I will continue on to graduate from BASIS Scottsdale with High Honors. But in the meantime, I am going to dive as deep as I can into my story and explore new ways to convey all that I want to.

As a final note, before I officially begin this project, I want to emphasize how central my writing has been to my happiness and personal fulfillment. I have been crafting stories and characters in my head for longer than I can remember, and I am so excited to be given an opportunity like this to take the time I need to craft the best ‘hybrid novel’ I possibly can.

To wrap up my first post, I would like to present one of the illustrations for my scene. I hope you enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds really cool! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the amazing work you're doing as well!

      Delete
  2. This senior project sounds really intriguing, I cannot wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing your project come together!
    You might also consider providing book recommendations throughout your project. I know I value your opinion, and I'm sure others would too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Conner! Thank you for checking out my blog! If any books come to mind I will definitely post about them

      Delete
  4. Keanan, this is a very interesting project; I too wonder how visual imagery can affect specific text. I can't wait to see what you find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun! Like the picture too (especially the watermark, that really added to its beauty). All joking aside, I wish you the best of luck and hope the novel goes swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete