Friday, April 8, 2016

Week 9 of SRP

Hi everyone,
I can’t believe how quickly the project is going by! I feel like it just started honestly, so the approaching deadline is seeming very daunting right now as I’m scrambling to finish up each part of the project.

This week I made leaps and bounds as far as the score and website design go. I have officially written 6 pages of music that loops for my scene after a surge of creative inspiration I felt this week! I can’t believe that I ended up writing that much, and I thought it would be much simpler than it actually turned out to be. Some of the sections are actually kind of difficult to play on the piano!

Dealing with score isn’t off my plate entirely though. I still need to record it. Right now it is just sheet music on a website called noteflight. I’ve decided that I am going to be using garageband to record the song. Originally, I thought that I could create the recording just using the digital instruments that garageband provides, but that changed. I had overestimated the selection of instruments that I would have on that program, as well as the quality of the sound for some of them…
Where it stands now, I can’t rely on the digital instruments to make the soundtrack, instead I’ll just use a few of the better sounding ones as accompaniment to the track. As of right now, I will be the one recording myself on my piano at home. Originally, I had wanted a harp to be the main instrument, with some flutes and strings accompanying, but after I played the song a lot this week, I decided that the piano will work just as well. Now I just need to manage a decent recording of it! My playing isn’t as accurate as I would like it to be, as far as tempo and notes go, but thankfully garageband has the potential to let me mix and match recordings that sound good, and it provides a metronome for me to stay in time.

In a lot of ways, I am kind of happy that the digital instruments were lacking, because being able to record a real instrument provides a lot of benefits over strictly using the software. In garageband, the only way I would actually be able to record notes would be through using my tiny keyboard as a makeshift piano. This is greatly limiting to me, since I would have to break up parts of the song that span over multiple octaves, go back and edit over each note I played on the keyboard to keep it in time, and record only one hand at a time since there is no room on the keyboard for two.

Here’s a pic of one of the pages:

And I guess if you are at all interested in hearing what it sounds like (with really poor sound quality) click on the link here:
My Score

Normally there would be a repeat bar towards the last few measures, but I took it out so that way you could listen through to the ending without any loops.

I cannot stress to you enough that this is my first time trying out musical composition, so please don't expect anything amazing!! I will say though that I had a lot of fun making this, and musical composition is definitely something I want to study more and improve in!

Look forward to talking with you guys soon!


~Keanan~

4 comments:

  1. Keanan the composition was so well done! You have to give yourself so much more credit! I could really tell where the story would speed up or slow down just by listening to the music. I can't wait to see it all fit together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats really cool!! I noticed that the title of the piece is "Scene at the Flight." Is the character running away from something at this point? If so, then I think your score really captures that image! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, so yeah the scene is going to be a woman being chased through the night. The music is supposed to represent the shifts in tone: sad, ominous, intense, haunting. Whether or not it does that is entirely subjective, but hopefully most people would agree! Thank You!

      Delete